Who is KG you ask? Well, first off, let’s just clarify the origin of my name. Kelowna is the name of the city where I live in BC, Canada. It’s pronounced Kah – LONE – ah.
So about 15 years ago, I was signing up for some website, and I had to come up with a “handle” (as they were called back then). I couldn’t come up with anything original so I went with Kelownagirl. After a year or so, I started signing up for more websites and I found that the name was already taken on some sites so I changed the “i” to an “u” and the rest is history. Since then, I have tried to snagged the KG name on every social media site I can find so if you google the word, you usually find me.
Kelownagurl Quick Notes
* My real name is Barb.
* I was born in Vancouver, BC, in 1960.
* I am married to Erik, who is sometimes known as Kelownaguy.
* I have 3 kids, all mostly grown now – 2 girls in their 30’s, and a son who just graduated high school. I also have a step daughter and a step-grandson.
* I am a retired elementary school teacher – I’ve taught just about everything, but for the past 10 years, I’ve had grade 2 and 3. I truly loved my job but I’m am really enjoying to have more time to travel with my husband.
* I am a runner, a cyclist, a swimmer, a hiker, a triathlete, a marathoner, and a half ironer (is that a word?).
* I didn’t start doing ANY of those things until 2007, when I was 47 years old.
* I started a blog in 2008 and chronicled my journey from a being a completely un-athletic, slightly overweight, middle-aged woman to a fit and healthy even older woman. My original blog can be found here. My motto has always been “It’s never too late to be who you might have been” by George Eliot.
* In 2009, I started a podcast for beginner triathletes called the Kelownagurl Tris (tries) Podcast. I recorded episodes weekly for about 3 years and then began to post them more irregularly. Although I no longer post triathlon related podcasts, most of the original shows are still available on iTunes or for download at archive.org. The show notes for the old podcast are stored on the KG Tris Podcast website.
* In July 2015, I started a new blog (this one) and a new podcast to share the new direction my life will be taking this year as I finish up my last year of teaching and prepare for retirement beginning with a three month trip to Europe in April-July 2016.
* My goal for retirement (and topic for this blog and podcast) is to stay fit and healthy so that I can travel as much as possible in my retirement.
* Stay tuned – there is more to come!
Link to my retirement post– April 5, 2016.
Link to the map of our trip – France, Spain, Italy – April-July 2016
Getting Closer – update on our trip March 2016
Want to check out Kelownagurl’s old triathlon blog?
Follow this link!