We took our first trip to Europe for our honeymoon in 2007, and went a second time two years later. I was hooked! I was dying to go again but we were busy finishing our basement, building a deck, and landscaping our back yard so we had to wait another 4 years before we could afford to go again. After our trip in 2013, we decided we were going to make travel a priority and we’ve been to Europe every year since then. We divide our time between revisiting places we love, and checking out places we’ve never been. Now that I’m retired and we’ve discovered housesitting, we look forward to many more months of travel!
Recently, someone asked us how many times we’d been to Europe and we actually had to sit down and figure it out. How lucky we are, to not remember how many times we’ve been to Paris! I have keep a handwritten diary of all our of travels but I decided to make a list of them here, just like I used to list all of my races.
Here are the highlights of places we’ve visited so far.
- July 1-22 – Europe – London, Denmark, Paris, Avignon, biking in Provence
- July 9-25 – France & Italy – Paris, biking in Provence, Florence, Tuscany, Rome
- Jul 3-22 – France, Germany, Austria, Italy – Paris, Munich, Dachau, Salzburg, Vienna, Venice, Cinque Terre, L’Isle sur la Sorgue, Paris
- Jul 4-25 – Scotland, England – Glasgow, Edinburgh, Falkland, Cotswolds, Essex, Bournemouth (London)
- Mar 13-28 – New Zealand – Auckland, Russell, Tutukaka, Waitomo, Rotorua, Napier
- Aug 12-Sep 1 – Toronto, Rome, Orvieto, Castellina, Pienza, Pompeii, Sorrento, Maiori
- Apr 9- July 5 – France, Spain, Italy – (Paris), Avignon, Carcassonne, Albi, Beynac, Biarritz, St Jean Pied de Port, Camino de Santiago (39 days across northern Spain), Santiago, Orvieto, Rome
- Sep 8-Oct 6 – Atlantic Canada – Nova Scotia, PEI, New Brunswick, Quebec City, Ottawa
- Jan 20-27 – Varadero, Cuba – a resort in Varadero and a day trip to Havana
- April 29- June 17 – Portugal, Spain, Scotland, Ireland
- Aug 18 – Oct 12 – UK / Greece – Cornwall, housesit 1 wk Cotswolds, 1 wk Dorset, 2 wks Lincolnshire, and 1 week all inclusive in Crete
- February 24 – March 21, 2018 – New Zealand
- May 4 – June 6 – A week in the Cotswolds, and 3 1/2 weeks housesitting near Canterbury
Upcoming Trips – 2018
- Aug 21 – Oct 4 – Three housesits – Cotswolds, Cambridge, and Somerset, plus one week in all-inclusive in Crete.